In 2008, following a ten-year investigation coordinated by Prosecutor General Augustin Lazăr of Romania, a number of individuals were charged in connection with illegal excavations carried out in the dense forests of the Orăştie Mountains in the vicinity of the Sarmizegetusa Regia fortress, one of six heritage sites which make up the UNESCO World Heritage site of the Dacian Fortresses of the Orăştie, dating to the mid-first century BCE. To date twenty-eight individuals have been named in connection with this multinational investigation which has resulted in antiquities recoveries from New York, Zurich, Paris, Munich, and Hunedoara – Romania.
- An Interview with ARCA Founder, Noah Charney 2023-01-13
- Virtual restitutions in the age of Coronavirus and Australian bush fires 2020-06-05
- Revisiting the UK’s Dealing in Cultural Objects (Offences) Act of 2003 2020-06-05
- Prosecutors file a civil forfeiture complaint for the Gilgamesh Dream Tablet 2020-05-23
- An INTERPOL, Europol and World Customs Organization joint investigation produces 101 arrests. 2020-05-09
Amelia AmeliaConference ARCA art and antiquities crime Auction House Buddha Court Dead See Scrolls Demo Dirk Obbink Divi Easy EES EUROPOL Fano GettyBronze Gutenberg illicit trafficking India INTERPOL Iraq Italy L'AtletaDiFano LearnDash Looted Looting Maastricht museum Museum of the Bible Museum theft museumtheft Papyri plunder Restitution seizure Sidebar TEFAF theft the netherlands Turkey Van Gogh VictoriousYouth WCO